Friday, February 12, 2010

Carpe Diem Means Fasten Your Seat Belt

Day four of my new life as a freelance writer. I have made and printed new business cards. Seems odd to me that after 10 years, there is no company above my name. No identifying logo, no corporate designated title. At the same time, it is freeing. No one is telling me what my agenda is today or what will measure success. I am not wearing anything starched or dry cleaned. In fact, I am in the track pants I had on yesterday and I haven't showered yet.

I am a caged bird who has seen the door open and is swinging happily on its perch wanting to fly out and see what is beyond the bars. A sense of debt to my close friends and family makes me hesitate. I am a people pleaser trying to recover. I want to be free of that. I want everyone to be happy with my decisions to change my life and take on new adventures but when I hear reservation, I feel obligated to explain and make people feel better about what I am doing. This is more bondage and I am held by my own short comings. I need to get these cuffs off.

In a week or so, I'll take flight. I am taking on a new road, literally. I will be putting in a few good country CDs and putting some miles on the tires. I am anxious to see what adventures and sights Carli and I will take in together. A laptop, camera and video recorder in tow we will see family and friends. The world awaits the Hudson girls. When will we be back? Hard to say. I guess when we feel like we're done.

Strangely, I am not afraid of anything. Just eager to take on new endeavors. People are worrying for me. Fret if you must. If you can't trust me then trust God in my life. He is the ultimate director anyway and no amount of brow beating and hand wringing will do anything to distract him from his plan for me and my daughter.

Buckle up, get comfortable and stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment